• Umrah, when performed independent of Haj is OPTIONAL.
• However, if you are performing Haj, then at least TWO Umrah SHOULD be performed at the time of Haj. Those Umrah are part of the requirements of Haj.
• Umrah can be performed at anytime during the year.
Umrah Rites: (Specific Rites for FIRST Umrah (outline)
• You MUST arrive in Makka in a state of Ihram.
• Proceed to Masjid-ul-Haram to perform Tawaf.
• After completing Tawaf, pray two rakaat behind Maquamu Ibraheem and drink Zamzam.
• You then perform Saiy.
• Finally, end your Umrah by shaving your hair. It is preferred that men shave head completely. Women should clip at least one and a half inch of hair.
Rites for SUBSEQUENT Umrah (outline):
• Leave for the Miquat from Makka.
• ake a bath, use perfume (men only; women do not put on perfume) and then put on the Ihram.
• Say two Rak’a prayer at the Miquat and make the Niyya for Umrah.
• While reciting the Talbiya, proceed back to Makka.
• When you reach Makka, perform Tawaf.
• After completing Tawaf, pray two Rak’a behind Maquamu Ibraheem, drink Zamzam, and perform Saiy.
• Again, end your Umrah by passing the razor over your head so any new stubs of hair are shaved off. Women should also clip at least one and a half inch of hair everytime after performing Umrah.
Umrah In Ramadan:
Compiled in Abu-Dawud’s , “The Rites of Haj”, (Book 10), Hadeeth narrated by Abdullah Ibn Abbas , Prophet Muhammad, (pbuh) has said:
“To perform Umrah in Ramadan is like performing Haj in my company.”
Although, the reward for performing Umrah in Ramadan is equal in reward to a Haj. It is NOT a substitute for Haj. Haj is the obligatory once-in-a-lifetime pilgrimage. JAK Br. Yusaf for clarifying this issue.
Umrah travel and arrangements are very similar to Haj travel and arrangements.
Other Books/Videos with DETAILED information about Haj & Umrah.
SPECIAL NOTE: BECAUSE OF SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCES IN THE METHODS OF PERFORMING THE RITES OF HAJ, THIS WEBSITE IS DELIBERATELY NOT PROVIDING DETAIL INFORMATION ON SPECIFIC RELIGIOUS ACTIONS TO BE PERFORMED FOR EACH ARKA’AN. You are advised to select authentic books that conform to your “madhab”.